Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Why Carnivorous?

As the first year celebration of Carnivorous Caribou, I've decided to give some articles explaining how things got where they did. You can find the first post here.

Initial reason: I liked the unexpected nature of a meat eating caribou.

Secondary reason: Upon responding to the call of God to preach, I believed that alliteration was an obligation. Therefore, Carson City Carnivorous Caribou seemed a great fit.

Why I continue to like it...

We should all crave meat...not steak, burgers or chicken, but real teaching. Consider the author of Hebrews frustration with the church in Hebrews 5:11-14:
5:11 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 5:13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.
My heart breaks that doctrine has become viewed as a foe, instead of an ally. Much of evangelicalism sees careful articulation of doctrine as divisive, instead of seeing how the called are unified around it.

So why a Caribou?

Because I am a bag of hammers. We are not creatures who naturally crave meat. But God has to do a supernatural work in our lives to create the appetite for solid food. I do not desire solid food because of my personality, but God has put a passion in my heart to know Him more. And with that knowledge comes emmense joy in Who He is. That seems unnatural, foreign, even alien to us. And that's what makes it so beautiful. That's what is so glorious. He chose to reveal Himself to me. He chose to redeem me. He chose to draw me to Himself. He chose to give me a desire to know Him more fully. He gives me joy in the process of knowing Him better. In and of myself, that process is about as natural as a caribou eating a steak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home