Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, May 08, 2006

T4G: The 5/20 Principle

Though the major theme of the conference was defining and uniting around the gospel message, there was a secondary principle that kept coming back to me. One of the guys, quoting someone else, made this statement:
As pastors, we often overestimate what can be accomplished in five years and underestimate what can be accomplished in twenty.
That point was re-enforced (either in word or example) by speakers who have given decades to the same work. I was convicted about my impatience. I was further convicted when I realized that I usually turn to self, and to may planning, during those moments of impatience. I no longer depend on God to do His work, but step in to accomplish my own. I want Grace to affect generations to come. Seeing that kind of change requires time.

In the four years I have been here, I have never entertained the thought of going elsewhere. I've never thought about leaving, but I don't know that I've consciously thought about the inverse. Have I thought about staying around long enough to allow God to do genuine change in my life and this Body?

By God's grace, I pray He:
    -keeps me pure, allowing me to remain qualified to the calling of elder.
    -continues to grow me, making me adequate to the task.
    -continues to give the Body grace and increased paitience to deal with me.
I Corinthians 4:7 has continued to run through my mind:
For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?
God has graciously allowed me to serve a wonderful body of people. I pray that He continues to give me that gift.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The version of that quote that I've seen is in Knute Larson's book on ABFs. He said, "Most people overestimate what can be accomplished in one year and underestimate what can be accomplished in five." I guess things have slowed down a bit since the 80s.

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger ~~anna~~ said…

    It is so encouraging to know that the LORD has provided us with an elder who truly desires to serve Him....thanks for sharing your prayer requests too!

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger jason said…

    how do you do those cool block quotes? You can explain it to me later. I think the said it was Boice that said this at the conference... so maybe, since Boyce started writing in the '70's, things are getting quicker since the '80's.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home