Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Ah...

Anyone who is a fan of 24 knows just one day can make the biggest difference. Charity and I were able to escape for a day and I feel like a new man. A couple of observations:

1. Mad props go out to my parents, Jason and Jodi, and John and Robyn for watching our kids. We split them up so everyone could play man-to-man. What a tremendous blessing to have friends and family that would let us get away!
2. Fancy dining is not me. We grabbed dinner at Montgomery Inn. The ribs are amazing, but I realized I have no idea what I'm doing. Do you eat ribs with your hands at a fancy place like that? They gave us bibs and wetnaps so I assumed it was ok to devour by hand. However, the whole tipping thing is confusing to me. (Yes, I know to tip the waiter.) Do you tip the guy that seats you, especially when you ask for a particular table? How about the valet? I know you should tip him, but do you do it when they park your car or when they bring it back? (I tipped when he parked it and not when he brought it back. I'm pretty sure by the look on his face that he thought I was some kind of cheapskate. I was glad there was not an icthus on my car as I drove away.)
3. Finally, a decent hotel. I have had the hardest time finding a good hotel on line. Our family always seems to get hosed. However, the Arcadia Suites are a great place to stay. Nicely updated place with plenty of room and never smells of smoke (major hotel pet peeve). They are quite reasonably priced too.
4. I am a mission based shopper. Give me a task and I can accomplish it. But send me cruising around to see if there are bargains, I'd rather be locked in a room listening to Billy Ray Cyrus. Charity found amazing deals at the Gap Clearance Warehouse and graciously allowed me to stay in the car, working and reading. I'm glad she's a bargain hunter, for it means I don't have to be, and it means our money stretches out further.
5. My wife is amazing. I think I could have enjoyed a polka and bagpipe convention as long as she was company with me. I can not spend time with her without being reminded of the amazing grace of God in my life. (I still don't know how I ended up with her. I guess it's the fruit of Grace's "man-friendly" guy/girl ratio. She didn't have many options.) She laughs at many of the things I do, she loves to talk theology, and even claims that she likes my "D tendencies." While I was humbly enjoying a great weekend, I also found myself feeling a bit of a rebuke. How could I let ministry, kids and complacency robbed me of precious time with my spouse? (I mean, though I caught very little March Madness, I haven't missed it a bit.)

I love you cutie! Thanks for a great day away. (And thanks again to those who helped make it happen.)

5 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I could have been one of those persons but, ahh.., life happens! Danny, do not belittle yourself. Charity DID have options and if you will remember, after dating 5 guys in a very short time (10 days or so?) and you being one of them, she realized what a gem you are and knew you were God-chosen for her. I find it wonderful to read how you value her. As Zeke observes the way you treat her, he'll learn how to treat the women in his life, and as the girls observe this, (and how you treat their little highnesses), they'll realize the value God places on womanhood. Thanks for being the husband/daddy you are. I think all of this is why we all cried so much at your wedding...we knew God's favorable kiss on this relationship.

    Mom-mooo?, (oops! that's Chris)

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    24 is a great show.

    It's okay to eat Ribs however you want.

    May God continue to bless and use you guys in great ways. You are an awesome couple and influence so many people with your faith and example!

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful treat just to spend time with Kari. New moms and dads get to bond with their babies when they are born. Although I have hugged and kissed on her for the last six months I felt like I didn't really know her.
    It is so awsome to hold her and watch her as she sleeps. Her sweet sweet smile just melts my heart (and Pa's too) When we wern't holding her, we were just watching her as she slept or entertained herself.
    I can't imagine how you and Charity could have enjoyed the weekend any more than I did.
    I LOVE being a grandma.

    Ma

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Lauren Mott said…

    grace college...holla!
    the ratio is getting worse...

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Charity said…

    I love that you let me shop my little heart out! That's priceless, you know. :-)

    It was fun hanging out, just the two of us. I do feel truly blessed to have such an exceptional husband and friends and family who love our kids!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home