Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Friday, February 09, 2007

Book Check

If you were the greasy haired bully in the third grade, and you were to "book check" me lately, here are the books you would scatter on the floor--for these are the books I've just recently finished:

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
    Incredible book! I received this one through my nouthetic counseling classes. I was confronted with how often I discipline because of annoyance or embarrassment. Tripp reminds you that no matter how young, and how cute, the parent is still called to shepherd the child's soul. A great compassionate guide for exposing the sin in your child and calling them to fall at the foot of the cross.


The Priest with Dirty Clothes by RC Sproul.
    About the time I finished Tripp's book, my mother bought me Sproul's for my birthday. So many people struggle to understand "the great exchange"--that on Calvary, Christ takes our sin upon Him and offers us His righteousness. Sproul writes a childrens' story that allows a mother or father to teach this principle to their children. The book is listed for ages 6-10, but my 4 and 2 year old enjoy it. [My mother said the only way she located a copy was through Ligonier's Canadian ministry.]


The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn
    I'm looking at doing a summer sermon series on Giving, Finances and Stewardship. I'd heard many people recommend this book, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I began the book at 9pm and was finished by 11:30! Actually, if I just bought a copy for everyone in the church, I probably wouldn't need to preach a sermon series.


Of course, I'm also reading through a couple commentaries on 1 John. Stotts was recommended by Derek Thomas and I do enjoy it. But the New American Commentary Series continues to be my favorite series, and I am enjoying Daniel Akin's work through 1,2,3 John. I'm also about a third of the way through Above All Earthly Powers by David F Wells. At this point, I'm loving it, and wondering why I don't hear it referenced more by those who love to tout postmodern ministry methods.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    i saw he has one called "the king without a shadow." have you checked that one out?

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Looking Upward said…

    I also have read Shepherding a Child's Heart, The Treasure Principle and am now reading Above All Earthly Powers...!
    Great books all.
    Have you read Truth Decay by Doug Groothuis? It also addresses the postmodern thought drift.

    I am now reading The House on Garibaldi Street for a change of pace. (Adolf Eichmann's capture written about by Isser Harel, the Mossad director at the time of capture). Not exactly deep theology, but an interesting diversion nonetheless.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    haven't read truth decay, but i noticed well's mentions it a few times in the footnotes.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Terry White said…

    Danny:

    "Treasure Principle" by Alcorn is great, but a much better work of his, I think, is "Money, Possessions and Eternity." I've used it as a text for courses on biblical money management and it is outstanding.

    Much more in-depth treatment, and he gets into great discussions of the consumer/materialism lifestyle, asceticism, and other issues that are really thought-provoking.

    And he's not paying me to say this (G)

    -tw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home