Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Caribou 2.0


I’ve decided to give this blog thing another shot. However, it is abundantly clear that it would not be healthy for things to continue as they were. Semper reformanda should apply to blogging as well. Before I share the changes, I thought I’d answer the two biggest questions I have received:

Why did you shut your blog down?

I received many polite emails, a few personal comments, and a couple of you logged words on the site about the blog. Most of the private conversation, however, came from very caring people that worried for me. Shutting down the blog was not an act of rage, depression or of defeat. It simply was a time to reassess things and determine if blogging was good for ministry. I know I’ve been called to preach. I don’t doubt one bit that God has called me as a pastor of our flock. Yet, I don’t have that same conviction about blogging. The last thing I wanted to do was allow my blog to get in the way of the ministry to which I know I am called.

So why keep blogging?

This was rarely ever the first question out of the gate. Typically, someone would ask this question as a follow up to the first one. If blogspot shut me down tomorrow, or my church leadership asked me to the stop the blog, it would be gone. However, it is a form of media that can be redeemed and I believe we can discuss the principles of His Word to help transform us into His image. As we’ve examined in our church the last couple weeks, we can speak with the authority of Christ, but to do so, we have to be speaking His Words, in the way He desires us to do it. I believe God can use this blog in such a way, provided there are a couple of adjustments:

1. No anonymous comments
    I’ve had enough conversations with others to find that anonymous comments don’t really bother other people. But they drive me nuts. (If you want to know why, you can click here.) It didn’t make sense to keep a feature open that was probably going to start me off with a wrong attitude. (If having to register intimidates you from commenting, let me know, and I can help you with that process.)

2. Using the save as draft feature.
    Blogspot allows for this wonderful feature called “save as draft.” Contrary to my typical action, I am not required to publish an article the moment it is written. From here on, I plan to write an article, save it as a draft, and not publish it till I’ve slept on it for two days and then reviewed it. (Incidentally, since I said I wouldn’t start the blog back up until August 21, that means I didn’t write the article until August 21, meaning it won’t show up on my site until August 23.)

3. Less “light stuff”
    A few people have lamented the change in the blog. What started out as a potpourri of life, theology, sports and humor has become much more about theology and practice. This is not a philosophical change, but something that has just happened. I’ve quit writing about sports lately, not because I think they are wrong, or it is foolish to talk about, but just because I haven’t been following sports lately. I find my life getting much more focused which probably means more boring to the world. (But as one friend told me, “My wife doesn’t find me boring, and that’s all that matters.”)

4. More guiding, less guarding.
    I don’t even know if it was Brian’s intention or not, but this article really got me thinking about my blog. A shepherd must guide. A shepherd must guard. My personality probably lends itself to wanting to guard in situations where guiding is probably most prudent. I’m going to make an effort that this blog may do more guiding than in the past.


I appreciate those who have interacted (in person or on line) about this blog. I would also encourage you to think of this blog not as a finished document, but rather as a rough draft. For after all, that also perfectly describes the author.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger jason said…

    I didn't expect to see Glass Joe as the icon for your comeback (for those of you who are not familiar with Mike Tyson's Punchout I lament with you about your great loss). I think you're making yourself out to be Bill Buckner walking back into Shea when all of your readers see it differently. We don't come to read middle of the road Biblical Commentary... we come to read something with teeth. Don't go gummy on us.

    Secondly... what happens if your wife thinks you're boring? What do you do then?

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    Jason,

    O.K. so you explain the Glass Joe allusion (with which I can't imagine someone being unfamiliar) and rush through the Bill Buckner reference as if only a trogladite wouldn't know him.

    Please help. Am I missing out on as much by not knowing Bill Buckner as I would be if I had never played Punch Out?

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger jason said…

    lol

    Bill Buckner blew the World Series for the Red Sox in the '80's by letting a routine ground ball go right between his legs. This happened in Shea stadium against the Mets. Before this event in his career, he was one of the best in baseball, after, he was a a head case of sorts.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that its really easy to overthink these things. To think about who will think what about what we say, but that was never the point.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Brad said…

    Thanks a bunch, Jason. I learned earlier this morning that when it comes to sports, I really am a trogladite.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger danny2 said…

    i assume i feel like a trogladite when i didn't know the definition of trogladite...

    however, not even my widget dictionary has heard of "trogladite!"

    of course, bill buckner isn't in it either.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Brad said…

    Trogladite: prehistoric cave-dwelling insect, slang term for one who is completely out of touch with pop-culture; synonyms include idiot and cave-dweller.

    C'mon Danny, describing myself with a word that no one would know was part of the joke.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    i've heard of a trilobite.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    Cousins I'm sure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home