Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Postmodern Foundation?

I'm stealing this from Matt H who horked it from Ravi Zacharias:
1. "You see, postmodernism plays word games with us. Postmodernism tells us there’s no such thing as truth; no such thing as meaning; no such thing as certainty. I remember lecturing at Ohio State University, one of the largest universities in this country. I was minutes away from beginning my lecture, and my host was driving me past a new building called the Wexner Center for the Performing Arts. He said, “This is America’s first postmodern building.” I was startled for a moment and I said, “What is a postmodern building?” He said, “Well, the architect said that he designed this building with no design in mind. When the architect was asked, ‘Why?’ he said, ‘If life itself is capricious, why should our buildings have any design and any meaning?’ So he has pillars that have no purpose. He has stairways that go nowhere. He has a senseless building built and somebody has paid for it.” I said, “So his argument was that if life has no purpose and design, why should the building have any design?” He said, “That is correct.” I said, “Did he do the same with the foundation?” All of a sudden there was silence. You see, you and I can fool with the infrastructure as much as we would like, but we dare not fool with the foundation because it will call our bluff in a hurry. "

The following is from Ravi Zacharias as he addressed the United Nations in 2002 at a prayer breakfast. If you want to read the rest go to www.rzim.com an click on resources. It's good stuff.
Ravi's the man!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man thats good. I love Ravi, he has the great ability to cut to the chase and focus on what is the key issue. The absoulte senselessness of all this postmodern junk. It has no foundation. It reminds me of an old story I heard Chuch swindol tell, "what is the definition of a philospher-One who understands NOTHING and makes it seem to your fault"

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What makes Ravi so great is his ability to frame any discussion so that the opposing view is backed into a corner that requires them to either accept his argument or look foolish in rejecting it. He gives them no real excuse.

    By the way he is going to be speaking at the Ligoner conference next year in Florida - a couple of weeks after Sheperds

     

Post a Comment

<< Home