Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Weekend Rapid Fire

Just giving a quick shot of some of my thoughts from the weekend:

1. Wonder why I keep hammering taking the Word seriously? Because this kind of thing happens when you don't! (If you can't figure out the problem with the verse under the name of the church in the top banner...check the context. Who are they quoting?) Thanks, or is it blame, goes out to Justin for pointing this one out. (UPDATE: Thankfully, some people contacted the church and they decided it was a bad idea to quote Satan for their life verse. They had placed Luke 4:8 just below the name of their church. Since they corrected it, I broke the link to the church.)
2. I am loving Humility by CJ Maheny. I say loving it. There will be many posts to come from this one. Did I mention that I love it?
3. I am so grateful to God for the privilege to preach on grace this morning. I had a blast doing it, and however it turned out for everyone else, I had a great time of worship as we looked at Ephesians 1:3-14. Afterwards, I received a marvelous compliment from a visitor who said there was a humility and meekness visible in all the staff who shared today. Of course, it was more fun to say "thank you" and then remind her that apart from the grace of God, that would not be said of me, for He placed whatever meekness was there in my heart!
4. So far my Olympics viewing has been pretty slim. At this point, I've watched because nothing better was on. Again, I just can't get pumped for this.
5. I have a very limited knowledge who Kanye West is, or why he was mentioned in the comments of this post. At first, I felt terribly bad about that (I know my "cultural head" is stuck in the sand much of the time), but several of my students didn't know anything about it either. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kanye West is on the cover of Rolling Stone wearing a crown of thorns.

    What does that say about us that your mother knows these things and you don't. I am glad you don't!!!!!
    It tells me I have been watching way to much TV while I am on the mend.

    Ma

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Danny, The message from God's word that you gave this morning was awesome!! I am so thankful for pastors who truely know God, love Him and follow Him in all their ways of living and preaching!! Thank you for being a faithful servant! Jason is going to burn a copy for me and I am going to share it with my father in law. Thank you, dear friend. LG

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kanye west:
    http://www.entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,17933202-7484,00.html?from=rss

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    linda,

    thank you for the encouragment. all praise and glory goes to Him! it's His Word. He developed my relationship with Him. He put His love in my heart so I could love Him in return. He has broken my heart so that I follow His Word (when I'm being faithful) and He has chosen to give me the gracious gift of preaching. without Him, I have nothing worthwhile to say.

    I have no idea why God chose me to be a servant, or why He even wanted me, for that matter, but it is a privilege to be one of His "called Ones" and to serve He who needs no one to serve Him.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I checked out the post with the misused Scripture. I was the "God is still speaking" and "What we believe" stuff that made my hair stand on end. If God is still speaking, it seems like he's retracted significant parts of what he wrote in his book. Or maybe the UCC has decided to live by what they wish God would have said as opposed to what he put in the book.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Gordon said…

    The UCC has probably obeyed that verse (in its context)!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home