Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ronald Reagan Killed the Olympics

Tomorrow begins the next Winter Olympics, hosted by Italy. I used to rearrange my schedule to catch the Games. This year, I doubt I will see much.

Would we still call it the Miracle on Ice if the US had defeated Latvia?

Why doesn't my patriotism burn when I see Russia like it used to when I would see CCCP.

I used to view Czechoslovakia as another communist enemy. Now, I see Czech Republic and feel sorry for the chaos communism has left in its wake.

I could root against the Scandanavian Countries. But that seems so rude. Let them dominate the Winter Olympics, that's about all they have got.

I could root against "Nations that aid Terror" but desert countries don't seem to represent well in the snow.

When Reagan coerced Gorby to let curtain fall, I had no idea it would also mean the excitement of the Olympics would fold.

The Cold War may be dead, but I guess I can still do one patriotic thing. Root against France.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am never sure if the Germans are male or female.......

    Dwight Schrute

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I invented the fall of communism...

    ... and the Olympics.

    - Al Gore

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger lyndie said…

    i like ice skating. i cheer for best music and best costumed players. :)

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger David said…

    I am rather stoked about the Olympics. I am crossing my fingers for Kwan to win gold this year, and I hope either Sasha Cohen or Miki Ando will attempt a quad jump - it would be the first in Olympic history for women.

    Good point about France. Are any of the events started with a gun shot? Cause if so, any French competitors would probably drop everything in their hands anyway...

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the winter olympics were never that exciting anyway. a national rivalry is developing in the summer olympics, however. the Chinese are becoming a superpower in every sense of the word.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Two words. Yao Ming.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Two more words. Dirk Nowitzki.

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    those are great words gary, except they compete in the summer olympics.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    unlike Jason Kidd, who "declined."

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Danny, I know Yao competes in the Summer Olympics. I was referring to another comment (by "anonymous") - who brought up the Summer Olympics and China in his/her own post.

    Feel free to read other comments than just mine, bro.
    Don't want "anonymous" to feel.. well... "anonymous"?

    =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home