Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, February 06, 2006

Year of the Caribou

Your local Chinese resturant is scrambling to add the "Year of the Caribou" to their paper placemats after this weekend.

At least that was my first thought, after my Pittsburgh Steelers won the Super Bowl last night. Personally, I'm rather low on the athletic food chain, and my favorite teams can tend to dwell down there with me. However, after this weekend, I took a look at how things are shaping up for this calendar year and realized things could look radically different.

Pittsburgh Steelers--That's the "World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers" to you, thank you. (By the way, is football the last sport here in America that we can truly deem a team "World Champion" without a tournament? Really, what other nation could put together a team that could challenge the Houston Texans, let alone the Champs?)

Detroit Pistons--sans Larry Brown, the Pistons are 39-7 (on pace for a 70 win season.) They have completely handled San Antonio when they've faced them this season as well.

Duke Blue Devils--Coach K has the boys at a 21-1 mark right now. JJ Redick looks quite capable of leading the boys to a national championship. (For some reason, Daniel isn't too chatty about ACC basketball right now. huh?)

The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes--After soundly defeating Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, OSU is well positioned for a National Championship run. They did a great job with recruiting as well.

Hockey--Are you kidding me? Strange Brew is the only decent thing I can think of to decend down from the "Great White North." The Year of the Bou will just include hockey staying out of my way.

Texas Rangers--My theory could completely unravel with these guys. However, they haven't lost a game since September and they have made it a couple of months without severely overpaying for a washed-out talent. The Year of the Caribou doesn't even require a World Series ring, just an above .500 season would do.

God has certainly been better to me than I deserve in every aspect of my life. It seems so trivial to get excited even about sports. But it is more fun when your team wins.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Thoughts on your wonderful sporting year...

    (1) You are correct, the Buckeyes did well in recruiting. Remember the name Ross Homan.

    (2) I wish you could have added the Caribou to your list of successful teams this year. What a rough year of injuries. Will you keep Amare?

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    not so fast my friend.

    the carson city caribou have been climbing the standings as of late. i'll be thrilled with a lineup of:

    tj ford, manu, rip hamilton, mobley, amare, howard and magloire.

    it could be the year of the caribou as well!

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you sure this isn't a guest post from Fisher?

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ATTENTION OHIO STATE FANS!

    I just started up a website similar to the MillionDollarHomePage. It's
    located at www.coverupmichigan.com , and I'm sure some of you out there
    might be interested in advertising. You don't want that shrine to
    Michigan up there too long, do you?

    So what are you waiting for? Buy some pixels!

    Cover Up Michigan! Don't let them have 1 million pixels of glory! Cover 'em up!

    www.coverupmichigan.com

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look no further than just 1 hour and 15 minutes down the road to Oxford, Ohio and the number 1 team in the country the Miami Redhawks. I'm not a hockey fan but hey it's my alma mater. There's a hockey team for you to cheer for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home