Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Review: Grace College

I took a couple of students up to visit Grace College this week. I'm not one of those insanely obsessed people with the college (if God is calling you to be an engineer and you can get into MIT or GMI, by all means, go there!) but I did make a few observations:

1. College is expensive. As I'm sitting through a financial aide meeting with my students, I hear a representative from the school mention the yearly price. My mouth hit the floor as I heard the price was over $10,000/year more than it was 9 years ago. Then, he follows that point by stating that Grace is still one of the cheapest Christian colleges in Indiana. (Ouch! I'm not looking forward to three in college at once!)
2. There are some nice buildings. My college life pretty much consisted of Beta, Alpha, Philathea and McClain. These are all old worn down buildings. But now they have Kent, Indiana, Rec Center, Mount Memorial and Westminster. There are some really good looking buildings on campus. I've even been told that the library is nice. I should check it out some day.
3. Campus life has developed. It sounds like they have a great intermural program and have really found ways to plug students in. Campus life was good when I was there, but it sounds like it's even better now.
4. Restaurants. We had Ponderosa (a couple of years) and a few fast food places. Now they have Applebees, Hacienda, Ritters Frozen Custard. All kinds of good stuff.
5. Beards. What's up with that? It seemed like everywhere I turned there were beards. Not just gotees or a soul patch, I'm talking full beards. Fortunately, the trend hasn't caught on with the ladies yet.

Overall, I guess it was pretty cool to see the alma mater doing well!

6 Comments:

  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Charity said…

    Beards?! During the long-ago era of my college years, the guys with bushy beards were the ones whose girlfriends had just broken up with them, so they decided to don the I-dont-care-if-I-look-and-smell-like-a-scrawny-chimpanzee look and take up guitar . . .

    What is this world coming to?

    Oh - glad you had a good couple of days. You were missed!

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was at Grace (1979-1988, I picked up two degrees, a wife and two kids during that time) There were no stinking beards, or going to movies, or dancing, or good music or... wait a minute, I'm getting a little carried away here. My standard joke is that I spent the 80s in Winona Lake, which means I had to do the 70s twice. But the more 80s music I hear, the more I thank God for that blessing.

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Hacienda rules

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In my day (which I beleive corresponded to yours) the chicks did have beards

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh no! I just realized that those of you who know me and my history may find that I am making a very specific reference!

    Which I am not! Honestly, it was just a quick stab at the "crop" (hee hee) that was present mid-nineties.

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Gail said…

    i'm a gracie! loved it! oh and mark dever was my pastor for several years at chbc too- two great worlds, one blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home