Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Friday, February 17, 2006

Christian Fanatics?

Excitement over the gospel should be natural. (If it's not, you may want to check whether you have a spiritual pulse.) We've been called to be ambassadors, so that means we should be passionate about the cause of Christ.

But fanatics?

According to Winston Churchill's definition, we should be. Thanks to one of my widgets on my mac, this quote came to my computer last night: A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject. (Winston Churchill, NYT, July 5, 1954)

Forget Churchill though, Paul says the same. In I Corinthians 1:20-31 Paul says that is God is choosing to use that which is foolish and base to accomplish his task. Guess what is foolish and base are? Us.

And later in the same letter (I Corinthians 3:18-20) Paul says we must become a fool before we can obtain salvation.

I'm baffled at how this corresponds to what we see in modern day Christianity. Now, we are to appear as normal as possible. I'm not to share my faith right off the bat, for then people may think I'm crazy. It gets so easy to bow at the altar of cool. Acceptance becomes the god that we worship. Rather than fear that a person's soul is destined to hell, I fear that they may not think I'm a neat guy.

I'm not saying that I'm ready to paint myself scarlet and emblazzon a big "J" on my chest (although, if that brought people to Christ?), but I wonder how long a person should be around me before they notice my faith in Christ. How passionate do I appear if I'm afraid to discuss it?

I guess I should consider that given much time around me, people are going to gather that I'm a moron anyway. I might as well let them discover I'm a fool for Christ.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger David said…

    I get what you're saying, and you're right. But I think Christians often have taken this kind of thinking wrongly (which I know you are not doing) and it has led to the blind, naive idiocy of Christian witness t-shirts and Testamints and F.R.O.G. bracelets and bumper stickers and a host of other things you and I can't stand.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Danny, if you are truly living for Christ, first off people will notice because you are different and you are NOT a moron.

    (By the way)I don't think God would want you to curse yourself with those kinds of words. Read in His Word about how powerful our words are...much more than our thots. If Beth Moore were your mother-in-law instead of me, she'd have your ears pinned to the wall for saying that moron thing!)

    Anyway, I am finding out more and more that as you show interest in others, ask them questions about themselves, and genuinely listen, they will notice. People don't care how much you know untill they know how much you care. This is an area we all need help with. And since I am the M-i-L, you know I do! Pray for me, I'll pray for you.

    Mom

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Dude, what widget is it?

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this just in: "moron" is not a bad word.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    mom,

    interesting thoughts that i've been wondering about for some time. somehow, i believe God is pleased when I realize that I don't really offer much, apart from Christ. but i'll consider your words and it will probably show up on a post sometime.

    gar,

    the "quote genie 1.0" by theiDoctor.ca

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    I agree. We should be fools. Morons. Idiots.

    The Bible is full of people who were driven out of their minds for God.

    - Noah builds an ark.
    - David attacks a giant.
    - Peter jumps out of the boat.
    - Abraham lays his son down on an altar.

    We are to be aliens and strangers in the universe. If people think I'm a moron, let it be because of the difference Christ makes in my life and the strong statement it makes to them.

    Some people think I'm a moron because I'm a Browns fan.

    Some think I'm a moron because I write silly posts on my friends websites.

    Some think I'm a moron because I use the word "moron."

    Nah, it's none of those reasons.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home