Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, November 07, 2005

Mad at Mac

Have you ever been in one of those situations where you can't figure out if you're getting good service or not?

The "logic board" on my iBook went bad...

again...

for the fourth time.

While the second customer service representative was quite friendly, I did find myself waiting for nearly an hour to get to the bottom of my problem.

I've got diagnosing a bad logic board down. First, the computer begins to run slow for a week or two. Then, one day, while I'm typing, the screen will appear to shake, then the computer will lock up. If I'm lucky, I can get a few files off of it before it quits working all together. However, I spent nearly an hour going through diagnostic tests on the phone with a Mac rep to make sure the logic board was really the problem.

Today my iBook arrived back. However, the Airport no longer works. Again, I'm on the phone for over an hour just to find out there is a problem with the Airport. However, the Rep wanted to tell me that the Airport problem (though I have never had a problem with it) had nothing to do with my logic board problem.

My Apple Care program has expired, so I am pleased that they are willing to fix the problem. But are they really fixing it? About 5-6 months from now, my laptop will lock up again, and I'll be out of a computer for a week or two. It doesn't seem the problem is fixed, it's just dealt with for a while.

I bought a Mac because I'd never heard someone complain about the customer service or the computer itself. Now, however, I'm starting to think, "I shoulda' bought a Dell."

7 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Jones said…

    Your an exception to the rule Danny. Mac's are much better that PC's.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are an exception to the rule Danny. But I think you already knew that and it doesn't matter much which rule we're talking about.

    I'm a confirmed PC user but I've also never before heard a Mac user complain before. Maybe you're just the world's first honest Mac user.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't lose faith. Macs are the future, and though you have had a few setbacks, I have faith that it will get better. Stay strong, it will benefit you in the future. You know it will too, but you just needed to vent, understandable; just make sure all of this doesn’t go to your head and you start believing this nonsense.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jeremy Bear said…

    I've got a Dell at home and a Mac at work and, while both have their respective issues, I prefer the Mac. Pricier, but they're better machines.

    Generally, any time after a computer's third birthday, you're beginning to live on borrowed time. (Granted, I tend to beat on mine mercilessly with big fat multimedia production software, so maybe I wear mine out quicker than most.) I'm not sure how old your iBook is, but they always manage to wear out quicker than I think they should.

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Yeah, count me in with these other posts.

    Yours is an exception.

    I think it is also a G3, which could be part of the problem. A G3 that runs OSX Tiger is going to be stretched to the hilt, from what I've heard...

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    five days, and i'm still waiting for my airport card to arrive!!!!!!

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    if this was the first time the logic board went out, i would undestand what you're saying gary.

    however, this problem started long before tiger was installed on my computer.

    i'd also even get that at about 3 years, it may be getting worn out....but should a computer start having major issues when it's only 18 months old? this has been an on going struggle for the last year and a half at least.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home