Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Friday, November 11, 2005

I Fear Unique Sounds

As I'm balancing the check book this afternoon, I hear a slapping sound coming from the nursery. My wife is feeding our youngest and the two older ones are presumably together in the room. Since my wife is really the expert about our children's play habits, I ask her what she thinks of the sound.

"It's sounds like Rachel is slapping Zeke," I offer as a possibility.

"No way, he doesn't sound upset," Charity quickly dismisses.

Well, I know he's not smacking her, or there would be a major meltdown. So I go back to balancing the checkbook. Every so often I hear the slapping sound repeated. I can't imagine what the sound is, but the kids seem to be happy. Actually, as I begin to think about it, too happy. Now I'm not just curious about the noise, I'm terrified to find out what awaits me.

I walk up to the door only to notice a piece of furniture has been moved to block my line of vision. I also noticed the room smelled really good. I had no idea what to make of that.

Zeke was sitting on the floor playing with some trucks. He seems happy enough. However, while he is playing, Rachel is dumping baby lotion into her hands and then smacking it into his hair. His head is nothing but a large collection of white sludge. I froze. Not sure what else to do, I yelled for my wife. Needless to say, this was a new thing, not a habit of theirs.

So now Zeke has really greasy hair (even after repeated washings).
Rachel has really soft hands.
Kari now sleeps in a room that smells really good.
Mom and Dad have no idea what to make of the situation.

I never new it would be possible to be frustrated, amused, annoyed, laughing, confused and relieved all at once.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how fun... hahaha!

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I seem to remember finding a little boy in the bathroom many years ago with toothpaste all over him and the toilet seat. When I asked him what happened he swore he had nothing to do with it......
    But our toilet seat did have 49% fewer cavities.
    Another great thing about being a grandma is watching the "PAYBACKS"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home