Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Can a Vasectomy Ruin an Evening?

We had a blast at our Shake Video Academy Awards. The students did an awesome job of making fun movies, and all the adults that helped make the evening work did a great job!!!!

I had the dubious task of being emcee for the evening. I'd never done that kind of thing before, and really ended up doing it by default (didn't think about that role till it was too late to ask someone else).

In the course of the evening, in making comment about someone's movie involving my wife and I having about 15 children, I mentioned that I really appreciated that their film reminded my wife to call our doctor regarding me getting a vasectomy.

I didn't even think about the comment till later. During the reception I look around and realize their were some children at the program. I started to wonder if the comment was inappropriate or not. A few of my thoughts were as follows:

1) The kids did such a good job of keeping the films clean. They proved that entertainment is possible without inappropriate dialogue or inuendo. Did I ruin all of that with one comment?
2) I used the medical term. It's not like I used some slang. It probably just went over the heads of those who don't know what the word means.
3) I'm a pastor. If anyone should be watching what they say, I should. This also fits into the discussion as I have heard some excuse language lately, that our words aren't that critical...Jesus said so much to the contrary.
4) Is this just a new move in being real? Sure, 40 years ago, no one utters that word in front of a church. Is that a sign of progression (being more willing to talk about whatever) or a sign of regression (nothing is sacred anymore)?

Overall, the evening was tremendous. I just hope I didn't provide the lowpoint. If no one was offended, I don't want to bring it up in a large context (instead, I prefer to learn from it here.). But if people were hurt, I'm certainly willing to apologize and learn from it. I'm just not sure how I find out what people thought.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Didn't ruin mine. I've already had my vasectomy! Ty P.

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    I think you were fine, Danny, unless your wife was bothered by it and didn't want you sharing that information.

    Then again, I told a group of college students that we were expecting our baby as part of an illustration, knowing full well that we "weren't telling anyone yet." Of course I worked that fact into our illustration too. =).

    Jennie was cool with it, since those college students don't know anyone that they could spread the news to. Plus, it's pretty good news anyway.

    I would be interested in hearing more about the vasectomy, actually.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Nice to see Ty Propp checking your blog! Good to know those Grace guys keep in touch through blogs too!!

    Or is that Ty Pennington, en route to another makeover?

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Jennie liked Batman Begins - great flic.

    No mention of babies or vasectomies, though.

    Still worth seeing at the theater.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me put it this way, the evening on which you actually have the vasectomy will pretty much be ruined as well as most of the following week. I could draw an analogy involving trying to walk with bowling balls attached to certain sensitive parts of the male anatomy, but that might be over the line. Or maybe not. As christians we have to find appropriate times, ways and places to talk about such things. Maybe the Student Video Awards wasn't the right place, but how about accountability groups, "men's or women's only" groups, etc. When I do marriage seminars I always tell couples, "If the two of you are not talking about sex, at least one of you is frustrated." If we can't share a Christian perpsective on such things, people will be left to finding guidance from the non-christian perspective.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we are Grace Church, right? Lets put it into practice. Hey, my seat feels uncomfortable. Maybe it is because I have three buttocks. Is that okay to say...buttocks are the medical term, right?

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    dr edel is either brilliant and way over my head, or is struggling to make sense do to his "condition."

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Jeremy Bear said…

    I have no ability to relate to people that might be offended at a vasectomy joke. Call it a weakness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home