Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, July 04, 2005

Jesus Christ and the Church of LCD--Part 5

Let me be the first to say I've hated this series. When I started out, I thought it might be good to articulate different thoughts that were inter-related. Instead, I think it's just become jumbled up thoughts. By doing a series, it only further manifests that I have very little of value to say.

That said, I guess I basically just mean that the pastoral ministry has become largely about religious study and less about theology. The majority of books, seminars and workshops offered seem to be much more anthropocentric. For ministry to have depth and for it to truly minister to the body, it must be theocentric in nature.

That doesn't mean that we don't consider man. If anything, once we understand the transcendance of God, we understand man's great value, that He should choose to reveal Himself to us.

Maybe, in the end, the Least Common Denominator is mankind itself. If that's where our focus remains, we just don't seem to accomplish much.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sunday I preached a message on "The certainty of death." Not a very LCD title or subject. But at the end of the message something happened that hasn't happened to me a in a long time. People were weeping. I think your basketball observation was right. When we abandon LCD thinking and challenge everyone to move ahead, everyone may not move at the same speed, but eventually eveyone moves at their own speed. Of course, sports and business are refuges from LCD thinking because it doesn't produce excellence, only mediocrity.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home