Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

8 Great Years

Charity and I took off last night to enjoy our eighth wedding aniversary. As we were driving off to "the city" her only statement was "I just don't want us to go anywhere where it involves coloring the menu." (Apparently, she heard that on "Raymond" once and felt like she connected with it.)

We had a great night just getting away (If you don't have kids, enjoy the freedom of going where you want when you want. There's few greater luxuries than waking up in the morning and only having to get yourselves ready, and not a couple of toddlers as well.) We checked out "The Interpreter" (which we both enjoyed, and yes, we FINALLY got around to seeing it) and had a great meal out.

8 is just a weird anniversary. I remember being in college and seeing couples that had been married for eight years and considering them veterans (heck, in the nfl, you're about ready to retire). Yet I still feel like a kid. I still can't believe we're married. I still feel like I'm messing up more than I'm getting it right. But I also can't seem to remember life before being married. It almost feels like another world. This two becoming one thing is awesome (not just physically) but that I really can't see my identity without that Charity Wright aspect of it. Some of our friends would occasionally call us "danity," a reference to the entity that was the two of us. In many ways, I feel like Danny has been replaced with Danity...and I love it.

I wonder what our 16th anniversary will look like. The kids will be 10, 9 and 7. I wonder if I'll still be feeling like a rookie making a ton of mistakes. I wonder if I'll still be waking up amazed that she said "yes."

4 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Danity,

    Congrats on your anniversary! #8, in honor of Kobe Bryant!! Uh, I mean employee #8.

    Seriously, though, congrats - we love you guys and wish we could see more of you.

    I am also proud that you saw The Interpreter on your anniversary! That just shows that the two of you are growing as a couple in your wisdom and tastes. Now, please tell me you had Taco Salad when you went out!

    Seriously, though (part 2), congrats - and thanks for doing a blog and keeping it real. Sharing your heart, your life, and your thoughts with us here in webville. We're proud of you and your marriage and ministry. Keep up the good work.

    You won't always feel like a rookie. Here's hoping you never feel like Kenny Rogers, but always feel like Kenny Lofton.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger jason said…

    Danny and Charity,
    Also a congrats... its been so good having you guys around this year. I'm still trying to figure out what would be worse in a marriage; 1. not knowing what you're doing and constantly screwing up, or 2. knowing exactly what you're doing and being bored with it. I think I'd probably opt for door #1 even though it makes life more interesting sometimes. It's cool for me (entering my third year of marriage) to hear that someone who's been married five years longer than me doesn't have it down yet either.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats! It's been great getting to know you guys more--god bless.

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're at #22 and its still great. We love each other, I still can't believe she said "yes" when I asked her to marry me and the sex is still really, really good. It does get better over time. (I wasn't sure if I should say that, but I noticed the vasectomy post and figured it was fair game.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home