Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Spiritual Terrorists

As I type this, I still don't know much about what happened in London today. (I've been tied up all day and haven't checked the tv or cruised the internet yet.) What I saw earlier was that quite a number of people are dead and the injuries were well into the hundreds. It was obviously a case of terrorism, though what group, I'm not sure they know for sure.

Terrorism is such a cowardly act (remember hearing about how armies used to line up facing one another?). When you attack someone who doesn't even know they're was a war, take out innocent lives, and then flee and hide...there's nothing noble about that, no matter what the cause.

Here's the funny thing. Some will oppose any retaliation by England. If like the U.S., England will announce their displeasure and their retribution on the responsible parties, people will protest their efforts. People will call out England for being inhumane. People may disapprove of the terrorists activities, but you won't find anyone picketing or protesting against the terrorists cause.

Reminder, we are engaged in spiritual warfare (Ephesians 6, just to name one passage)! Though much of the terrorism today is rooted in spiritual issues (Can we be honest about that, or do I still have to pretend this is ALL political?), that's not what Paul was talking about. Our battle is not between flesh and blood. We didn't start the war (though before knowing Christ, I was fighting on the enemy's side). The battle was brought to us in the garden when the serpent tempted Eve. Not face on, but with deception through a serpent. It's an ugly war, and the enemy does not play fair.

It's tempting for us to want to become spritual terrorists. We'll fight back for a moment then run and hide. I'll try to win my neighbor to Christ, but work hard so that he never knows my intentions. I resist organizing with others in the fight (the church) thinking instead I'm called to be a maverick alone. That's not the way we were called to fight.

The fight is not even ours. While I raised my sword up toward Christ, warring against Him, He spread His arms wide, and died for me (Romans 5:10). Then as I joined God's army, He clothes me in armor (Ephesians 6:10-20). I don't bring the fight to the enemy, but allow the Lord to do so (Jude 9). Yet I survey the battlefield, looking for those who need to hear about peace, looking to rescue some (Jude 23). But I shouldn't hide this fact. I should be up front about it. I certainly shouldn't be ashamed, or sneaky or deceptive. For I have no reason to hide.

Should I be combative toward people? Certainly not. "Our battle is not against flesh and blood." But as I fight the battle and announce my intentions, I should see resistance. Just like England will receive resistance from some if they look to retaliate (and I pray not only that they do, but that the U.S. shows the same support they have shown us!), we should expect people to be offended at us.

They'll be offended that we are fighting. We'll need to remind them that we didn't start this battle.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I overheard someone on a newscast saying, "We want to be careful not to be seen as discriminating against the radical muslims." Huh? Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear some honesty and clear thinking in midst of all the analysis and speculation. Reporter: What do you think motivated today's bombings? Expert: I think they wanted to kill innocent people as a way of promoting their cause. Reporter: Do you think there's a chance of a repeat incident? Expert: Unless we stop them, yes!
    By the way, I'm not intending to be glib. My sister and her kids live within a half mile of the bombing activity in London. Thank God they are all safe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home