Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Is the Church an Extracurricular Activity?

One of the trickiest issues for a pastor is working around the schedules of the people. Jesus called for us to be in the world, so we can't require so much time from our people that they become isolated from others. At the same time, genuine ministry involves relationships, and a person struggles to grow when isolated from the Body of Christ. But is attendence an indication of commitment? And does our response to conflicts in scheduling reflect our strongest commitments?

This is one of the busiest times of the year for high school students. Even as I type that last sentance, I begin to doubt its validity. Aren't our student's schedules pressed from January to January. In our home town, it's the good students who now attend summer school, because their schedule won't allow them to fit all their classes into the school year. Sports camps are all through the summer, because instruction during the school year would have interfered with traveling teams with which they participate. Then you pile on a pursuit in the arts, and club memberships and general high school experiences like prom, homecoming, and taking your ACT's. Their lives are full.

Where does discipleship through student ministries fit in?

That very question bothers me. It suggests that somehow, the very process of turning a person into a disciple of Christ is an activity that should be shoehorned into a life wherever their is extra room. Are we participating in the Body out of what's leftover of us, after all other events, instead of vice versa.

Where does this issue lie? Lately, I've been wondering if it isn't in the rewards system we offer. I can't offer a student a letter jacket for their faithfulness to Christ (how would I even define sucess?). We can't dangle the carrot of financial scholorships for higher learning before our students. Their participation holds little to no value in their acceptance to a college (even in the Christian colleges). I certainly can't/don't give them a grade. Mom and dad can't enjoy sitting in an audience, listening to people applaud/cheer their student on for their faithful walk. And so all the rewards are in the extracurricular's corner.

Except two.

1) Their is an immediate reward. I am by no means suggesting that skipping youth/church due to an ocassional conflict is guaranteed to set a person back in their walk with Christ. To the contrary, there are probably times that attending another event, and influencing those around you, will heighten your walk more than your attendance to youth group. However, I am baffled by the mother who recently was in my office, telling me that she can't wait for a conflict for her daughter to pass so she can be back in youth group. She basically confessed that this time of year is always a spiritual drought for her daughter, as she is isolated from a Christian community due to the conflicts her activities present. She can't wait till the conflict is over because she knows she'll see a difference in her daughter's walk. Yet at this point, I know the parents would place their daughter right back in the same conflict as before. Why?

2) Spiritual reward is most often unseen, by definition. To do something in faith often requires it be done without sight. Is it making a decision of devotion and commitment to the Lord if all of the benefits are immediately visable and attainable? Are we content to forego the world's reward system (potentially even call upon its condemnation/persecution) for the sake of a rewards system that may not be evident this side of eternity? Yet isn't that which comes by faith always greater?

As a church, we try to do all we can to avoid "busy work." Our people don't need events just for the sake of the event. But when we do plan something, how do we convey that it is planned for the spiritual development of the participants? And then, how can we fairly articulate our displeasure when someone fails to see the priority as such?

I am not calling for a legalistic, "everytime the doors are open, we need to be there" attitude about the church. But I also don't see it as an extracurricular activity. Participation in the Body of Christ is a Biblical mandate (and participation goes well beyond Sunday morning attendance). If we NEVER say no to an extracurricular activity when it conflicts with our participation in the Body, are we truly commited to the Body?

9 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you are right on here. It IS definitely a matter of priorities and commitment. People do what they WANT to do. My experience (almost 18 years in youth ministry) proves this out. Jesus expects more that waiting for the "conflict" to be over. "the one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back" is the one compelled by the world.

    I am not a huge Josh Harris fan, but his newer book, "Stop Dating the Church", is worth giving to parents and teens.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Jason Knavel said…

    Well, I certainly believe that what we do and are involved in is a good measure of our passions and desires. If we are more interesting in attending sports camps than being involved in the church, then I think that is a good way to gauge our passion and what god we serve.

    On the other hand, I often feel that our definition of "the church" is skewed. The church is not a building or an event. The universal church is the entire body of believers, while the local church is the body of believers that we can feasibly come in contact with and minister with/to. We have a responsibility to use our spiritual gifts to raise up the church, but does that mean that we need to be at the church building every time the doors are open? I guess it depends on your spiritual gift(s) and what is needed.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Danny--just like you--I've had many conversations like this. It used to baffle me when parents would ground their kids from going to church--I just didn't get it, or when they would miss out on a season because of another activity. I'm not legalistic about it either--but I do think that part of maturing and growing is understanding the need and committment we have to each other..insert-church. Part of the issue, I think, lies in the misconception that the world should pattern our educational/successful plan of achievement. School, activities, grades, college, good job, good home, etc, etc. Part of following Christ means that I am willing to ambrace a different path--one that joins what God is doing around me most earnestly. Although--I'm still growing in this myself, and I didn't really catch it when I was a student--but I really believe these things should be discussed more open in the church. Good thoughts.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Danny - you know you've got a good blog when people are reading it and commenting on it every single time. part of the trick is that you're being consistent and thought-provoking in updating your blog.

    I read your post, and remember my sophmore year in high school, when I pretty much gave up varsity basketball for God. Sometimes, I've regretted not playing (or trying to play) football in high school, but I know that was the most spiritually formative time in my life, and I saw many of my friends come to Christ and went on several awesome missions trips that I wouldn't have if I had been in the "extra curriculars."

    Basically, I think our whole culture suffers from the idolatry of worshipping "fun" and worshipping "self."

    Jesus never stopped challenging people to a deep, sacrificial, "die to yourself" lifestyle - the kind of narrow road that few will find. I guess you could say that wide is the road that leads to extra-curriculars and temporary happiness, and narrow is the road that leads to Jesus and the things that really matter.

    I think it's a frustration we'll always have to live with but never get complacent about. Never stop challenging people, especially parents, to do the things that really matter.

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Danny,
    Jennie really wanted to comment on your spiritual post, but she was busy attending the local school musical, shopping for diapers, spreading mulch, and eating crackers.
    Oh - the humanity!!
    Doesn't anyone have time for God online either?
    Love you bro,
    Wailer
    (P.S. Nice win for Pistons tonight! Still would lose to Bulls in Jordan's prime every time =)

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    in the grand scheme of things, I think we all must remember the immortal words of R. Wayne Snider, who quipped, "History is His story."

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Danny,

    Excellent article. I hear your frustration. I think alot of it comes down to how deep our relationship with our Savior actually is. Are we truly committed to following Him or following the world? And this applies to me just as much as it does our youth.

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Danny - Our society has gotten so pulled into the thinking that your kids will be behind if they aren't on all the little teams when they are young or belong to the teams that travel all over the state. It's such an "honor" to be on the select teams that travel on weekends and especially Sunday. The whole family misses church Sunday after Sunday for what? We saw kids make choices between work camps or national youth conference events and choose a sport camp or music camp. When you weigh the events it didn't seem like a choice and yet the kids didn't go with us on the work camp. As a parent it seems like you would encourage your child with something that might affect eternity rather than miss a couple of days practice. I so agree with you with much of what you said. "Amen, Brother!"

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greetings from Centerville, where we regular "bump-draft" in the rat race. (You have to understand Centerville and NASCAR to understand that reference, which means probably no one will get it) I think it was Lily Tomlin who first said, "The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat." Has anyone made the connection between the observations that we overprogram our kids from the time they're in preschool till they graduate from college and then when they graduate they have no idea what they want to do with their lives? Life is no longer programmed for them. One of the corporate values at Centerville GBC is "simplicity" Less is more!Why don't we encourage parents and kids to check out of the rat race and go for a scenic walk in the park? I was upset when one of my sons quit in the middle of tryouts for Middle School basketball. Guess what? He still plays basketball but now he plays with his brother and me! Major victory. We have a basketball hoop next to the trampoline in our back yard. It makes for a wild game. But I digress. We had an interesting conversation in our small group about how church involvement causes marital stress. Its not just the kids who face this issue.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home