Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, May 16, 2005

Have I Sacrificed Anything?

So we take the kids (our two plus 7 students from the youth group) to Kentucky this weekend for a mission trip. Before the trip I'm thinking about how I gave up a weekend at home. How I'm giving up some sanity trying to bring a 2 year old and a one year old on a mission trip. Even driving down, I was still thinking about how I had given up a peaceful evening the night before to "do some much needed church business." Yes, I'd even considered that I was giving up a chance to see some NBA this weekend as well as the re-airing of last week's 24 (our tape quit after 43 minutes, so don't you dare tell me what happened!).

Then we get down there. I was challenged by the poverty I saw. By the hopelessness that had crept into a community and taken it over. By my comforts here in my own home town. Yet i wan't most convicted by those things.

Mostly, I was convicted by the pastor and his family. As I looked at them, I wondered what they hadn't given up. Big house: gone. Consistent paying job: gone. Healthy environment for their kids: gone. Pleasures/aminities/joys of living near friends and family: gone. I felt like such a child when I considered my complaints, and such an arrogant punk whenever I felt good about myself for what I have given up over the years.

Quite honestly, I've given up nothing. I have a wonderful wife, incredible kids, the most amazing youth group in the greatest church I have ever been a part of, where I get to work daily with people I consider my friends. If ever you hear me complain, feel sorry, or even boast about my sacrifice, please, you have permission to smack me around.

God has blessed so much that I haven't given up a thing. If anything, I've traded in that which is worthless for that which is priceless.

What's funny though, is that as I look at the joy on Mike and Connie Tabor's faces, I wonder if they are thinking the same thing.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We know a couple that believes the only thing they have given up is the frustration of knowing they were not in God's will to be anywhere else. Blessed (happy) are those who knows God's will and are doing it. Paul said his accomplishments were but dung to what he has in Christ. Jesus' parable of the treasures make it clear that He, His Father, and the Holy Spirit is what brings humanity happiness. How soon and how easy it can be to forget the basic wonderful truths of God.
    Danny you and your wife are humble servants of a mighty God that will bear much fruit if God keeps ya'll here. As Mike Jentes would say, "press on".

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jason Knavel said…

    This is a subject in which I struggle immensely. I understand the call to sacrifice for Christ but it's something that, if I'm honest with myself, I don't do well at all with. Thanks for the reminder Danny of all that we should and could sacrifice for the cause of Christ. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing my part by putting money in the offering plate or sacrificing a few hours at church but to be completely frank, those sacrifices are really not much at all compared to what He wants us to be willing to give.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home