Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Caribou Equip Log

Jason and I headed up to Equip07 this morning. We were not able to stay for any classes, but we did make lunch, which seemed to be a great time to mill around. Some Highlights:

I got to see this guy (don't bother clicking the link, it hasn't changed since April 06).

I got to see Charity's aunt and uncle, always a delight.

I got to hold a really cute baby. Apparently, it was this guy's. I don't know. I don't think I've ever met him and I hadn't met the mother until after I was already holding the baby. (It did get me a little more ready for October, though).

Was able to bump into another gbc blogger. Bump may not be fair, since we planned it in advance...but it was nice to finally meet.

Met a couple other GBC pastors who told me they've heard good things about Greenville. My thought is always three-fold when I hear this: a) How nice of them to make that up. I could be a jerk by asking right now, "Oh yeah, like what things?"; b) they're probably just thinking of the fair; or c) that was before Daniel left.

I also learned that their must be some major confusion regarding the Caribou.

No one seems to know what the Caribou would have made of this session. Within 20 minutes, I received the four following comments:

Were you there for Brad Powell? (I answered, "no.") Oh, that's too bad, you would have loved him. He was right up your alley and says many of the things you say regarding church marketing and such.

Were you here Monday night for Brad Powell? (I answered, "no.") Oh, you should do whatever you can to get your hands on the manuscript or a recording. It was exactly what you need to listen to and I believe you would benefit greatly from it.

It was OK. (This time answering my question about the session.) I don't think you would have thought anything either way.

and lastly,

Be glad you were not at the session Monday night. You would not have liked it.

My point is obviously not to assess the work Pastor Powell did. I have no idea, I was not there. Apparently, one can not get their hands on the contents of his message since it largely mirrors a book he is currently writing and there are copyright issues at hand. Therefore, I don't think I'll ever be able to evaluate his message.

But I found it baffling that four men, who know me better than most in the fellowship, could have such divergent views on me.

Have I not been bold enough? Do I need to speak more clearly?

3 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger David Mohler said…

    Perhaps divergent views result from a message which is neither hot nor cold.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't catch that session either, but I did take advantage of the conference special on Powell's book. You can borrow when I'm done if you'd like.
    I think the truth is that you would have liked part of what he had to say and dislike other parts.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger DL said…

    While I'm sbc, and don't get to join in your reindeer games, I think you are articulating a message for your denomination that is catching fire in ours. Keep up the good work!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home