Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I Said I Wouldn't Blog Angry, But...

I can't contain it. Excuse my rant for a moment:

Fazoli's Now Charging for Breadsticks

Our family has always enjoyed hitting Fazoli's. Where else can a family of 5.5 (you can decide if a pregnant Charity or if I account for the extra .5) people eat from just three meals. Sure, we may be taking years off our children's lives, but kids are resillient...they'll bounce back from any strokes or heart attacks caused by clogged arteries or faulty digestive systems. We typically spread one lasagna out between three children by making every other bite come from a buttery breadstick.

Well, no more...

Last Saturday, after doing some shopping, we decided to hit a close Fazoli's to feed the family lunch. At the conclusion of our order, the girl at the register gives her usual upsale pitch (like a large drink? a dessert? a commemorative Fazoli's jetliner? stock in Fazoli's?) when they hit me with an unexpected offer. Would you like to pay $.25 each for unlimited breadsticks?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NOT ONLY ARE THEY CHARGING A QUARTER FOR EVERY MEMBER OF MY FAMILY, THEY ARE EVEN CHARGING THE SAME AMOUNT FOR ME (at age 31) AND MY DAUGHTER (at age 1.75). IN ADDITION, THE BREADSTICKS ARE NOT AS GREESEY AS THEY USED TO BE (read: not as good), NOR DID "STICK-CHICK" (the girl who passes out breadsticks) MAKE HER ROUNDS AS OFTEN AS SHE USED TO.

McDonald's Killing their McCookies.

I noticed a couple days ago that the marquee on the McDonalds sign stated "Fresh baked Cookies." Of course, I am never opposed to the idea of fresh baked cookies, but I already thought McDonalds had a good thing going with their shortbread cookies. Then, this morning, I noticed the display of about 50 chocholate chip cookies below a glass case (mind you, when you order one of the "fresh baked" cookies, I saw them under a display at 6:15 am), and asked the lady behind the counter, "You didn't get rid of your old shortbread cookies, did you?" Certainly, I thought, this would be impossible, for the shortbread cookies are a staple, they're even in the shape of McDonalds characters. The register lady simply stated glumly, "Yeah."

WHAT IS COMING OF THIS WORLD? WHAT USED TO BE FREE FOR OUR CHILD'S SIZE SAMPLE IS NOW CHARGED TO US. AND DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IT IS "FRESH BAKED?" THESE THINGS HAVE BEEN SITTING IN THIS DISPLAY ALL DAY. FURTHERMORE, THE HYPOCRISY OF YOUR "HEALTHIER MCDONALDS" KICK IS CLEARLY EXPOSED WHEN THIS ONE COOKIE IS MUCH LARGER THAT THE THREE SMALL COOKIES COMBINED. NOW I CAN NO LONGER BRING MY KIDS HERE TO FURTHER CLOG THEIR ARTERIES, SOOTHING MY SOUL WITH THE FACT THAT AT LEAST WE GOT FREE COOKIES. MAY YOUR STINKIN COOKIES GO THE WAY OF THE MCPIZZA! GRRRRR.


To those who have wondered if I've written other posts in anger, I will simply state that there is plenty happening in the American church front that is/has making/made me angry, however, I choose not to write about it, or I atleast wait until I have cooled off. This (RED, ALL CAPS, TELETYPE) is what it looks like when I'm angry. (And yes mom, when you send me emails in all caps, it feels like you are yelling at me.)

9 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had the same feeling of despair at McDonalds a couple of weeks ago. One night after spending some time with friends Angie and I stopped off at McD's for some coke and my standard order of McDonald-land cookies. To my amazement she tells me that they no longer have them but they have "fresh baked" cookies instead. In my confusion I said yes to the cookies, which where not fresh and debatable as to if they were cookies. In frustration at the drive through I talked to the lady about the importance of their cookies and she said she had a few kid's bags if I wanted them. OF COURSE! I yelled, Angie slapping me on the leg gently reminding me that I am 32 years old. Who cares, I told her, this is an American mainstay. To my horror she brought me 3 little bags with 2 cookies each. I pray that is not the last time I taste those wonderful cookies :-(

    What's next is McD's going to mess with their coke formula???

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    YOU WILL KNOW WHEN I AM YELLING AT YOU................BTW (see how "hip" I am) When was the last time I actually yelled at you? That is Charity's job now.

    No one mentioned the 39 cent ice-cream cones at McDonalds that now cost 89 cents.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger DL said…

    Just a bit of wisdom from experience: When your five-child spread increases in age from toddlers to pre-adolescent, you won't be eating anywhere but home anyway. So don't get too hot under the collar. It doesn't matter if you're five hours from home. You tell them to swallow their spit and deal with it. :)

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so it takes an angry post about food to bring me around to commenting again :p

    i'm shocked about the McDonald's cookies. i just ordered a bag of them a couple of weeks ago to keep me awake on the drive home from lafayette, so this is big news to me. disappointing news. i mean, they don't compare to my oatmeal cookies, but they do in a pinch - and i actually enjoy that lemony flavor. i'll really have to plan ahead on long drives in the future.

    as for fazzoli's - yeah, we'd already heard that they'd revised their menu to some extent, so naturally i thought that was code for "we raised our prices in light of the new higher min. wage we have to pay our high school workers." so why didn't they just include the cost of extra bread sticks and make us think we were still getting a bargain? it irritated me to know i was paying specifically for that when for years and years it had been "free".

    by the way, i've seen karis eat. i have a feeling she gets her 25 cents worth ;)

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I went to the McD's website and left a comment about how disappointed I was in the whole cookie situation and this was their reply, not looking good:

    Hello Matt:

    Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry that the McDonaldland Cookies you enjoyed is no longer available at your local McDonald's.

    It may help you to know that McDonald's menus across the country may change due to the discontinuation of a product because it may not be as popular as other menu items or because of the rotation of promotional products which are offered for a limited time only.

    It is our goal to provide a manageable menu that allows us to offer the products that are most enjoyed by our customers while maintaining quick and accurate service. Again, we are sorry that the product you enjoyed is no longer available at your local McDonald's.

    Your comments are important and will be shared with our management that oversees the menu in your area. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

    Hector
    McDonald's Customer Response Center

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Susan said…

    The Fazoli change is terrible. It reminds me of our disappointing visit to O'Charleys for dinner when we found out that they no longer offered 'kids eat free'. Four kids, free food... it was a great deal while it lasted. Thankfully Taco Bell still comes through for cheap meals.

    As for McD's, at least the loss of cookies has helped Matt to make a new friend in Hector. :)

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good one Susan.

    My wife didn't know that I had posted a complaint on the website and when I got the email from 'Hector' she made sure to once again remind that I was 32 :-)

    Hector and I are good friends now. I am hoping that he will be able to sneak me a few bags of cookies every once and awhile.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    first the ambassador club, now an obsession with cookies. some things are becoming clearer.

    L
    . .
    ___

     

Post a Comment

<< Home