Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Why I Am Glad to be Grace Brethren

I'm working on a study guide to Keith Shearer's Childlike Faith. In an attempt to add visuals to the guide, I came up with this chart to describe our Fellowship. Dr. Shearer thought it was an accurate representation, so I thought I would share it:The four boxes represent four elements. All four should be pursued for healthy faith. The chart also shows three faith systems. The Grace Brethren are unique (at least in my knowledge) in that there is a desire to learn and borrow from all three systems, for the Fellowship formed with all three systems in view. If one pursues an element to an unbalanced proportion, he will also find himself stepping out of balance of faith systems.

I really appreciated Shearer's book, for he provides quotes from Alva J McClain that show it truly was his intent to see the fellowship formed with a balance of ALL THREE systems.

The Grace Brethren certainly aren't perfect, and our church is far from complete. However, it is my desire to place our church right in the center of the chart. To do so is to pursue historic Grace Brethren faith.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger David Mohler said…

    I think that is an outstanding visual representation.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger CornerstonePT said…

    Thanks for the diagram. I am heading to Baltimore this afternoon and have Keith's book to read on the plane - timely post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home