Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, March 06, 2006

Weekend Rapid Fire

Just some quick thoughts from the weekend...

5. World Baseball Classic. About twenty years ago, it would be a huge statement to say that the World Baseball Classic has taken the baton from the Olympics. Of course, it's 2006, so it's not necessarily a good thing. I couldn't care less what is going on with the WBC.
4. Oscars. I don't usually watch it, and I rarely recognize any of the films. However, I noticed a couple of things from the show (only watched about the first hour). a) Many of the people, though good actors or workers in film, are not good public speakers. b) Jon Stewart handled it well when his jokes didn't click. That's a terrible feeling when you make a joke and people respond like they aren't sure you were joking. c) Moderate political statements made. d) The drama played out during the song from "Crash" was just odd. Stewart handled it well when he followed by saying, "If you are fleeing from a burning car, I recommend you not move in slow motion." e) When Salma Hayek announced the Oscar winner for her category, it sounded like Oscar Weiner which made Charity and I laugh.
3. Has Clooney been reading Guinness? I couldn't believe the parallel between Clooney's statements about what made Hollywood relevant and what Guinness had said made the church relevant. Pretty uncanny.
2. Now that's alluring. I don't care what craziness John and Stasi Eldredge are trying to sell, a woman is truly attractive when she wants to snuggle up to you on the couch and read Humility. I have certainly been blessed beyond what I deserve.
1. A new friendship. Whether God desires for Matt and Isabel to join our fellowship or not (we're all praying for his wisdom in regard), I feel I have connected with a brother and sister that I pray the Lord allows us to continue in contact with. If you haven't met them, I would encourage you to swing by the church Wednesday night around 8:30 pm and get a chance to see what I'm talking about.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    wrote Danny, conveniently ommitting North Carolina's bashing of Duke, arguably the most over-hyped sports story of the weekend.

    wrote Danny, amazingly forgetting Ohio State's first outright BigTen championship in 14 years.

    wrote Danny, suprisingly neglecting to bash Rick Warren as he usually does one way or another in his posts.

    writes Gary, who should probably get back to doing whatever pastors are supposed to be doing with their time. Hee hee!

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Jones said…

    Jon Stewart was the reason I watched the Oscars. The reason his jokes got off to a rough start was because most of them were politically bashing the actors and other democrats and the audience really didn't know how to react to it. Although the night did improve and Jon Stewart lost his composure only once, right after the song "It's hard out here to be a pimp" won an Oscar and you could tell he really wanted to say something but didn't because it was the Oscars. Although he will be sure to mention it tonight on the Daily Show. Watching the Oscars though made me realize how horrible a year it was for movies...

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Lauren Mott said…

    hey, in regard to the eldredge ensemble...we had a couple here at grace a few weeks ago, dale and jonalyn fincher. they have a ministry called soulation: www.soulation.org. they were amazing. she spoke to the women on campus about the "soul of a woman." he spoke in chapel about lots of things. anyway, she is coming out with a book next year, kind of in response to the book captivating. she really challenges some of the concepts. they were awesome, you should check out the site.
    matt and isabelle: yeah, we're turnin out some winners here at grace college!

     
  • At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with your statement about the "crash" performance. That was just weird. Don't know when I'll see you next. Maybe if you keep frequenting Eikenberry's, you'll see me. Read my blogs, you may pick up a few hints there.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I only saw about 10 minutes of the Oscars and unfortunately it might have been the worst 10 minutes to watch. I got to see the performance and winning of "it's so hard out here for a pimp". what is this world coming to? maybe this is why I had 5 kids at halloween come to my door dressed up as pimps. I don't even think they were old enough to know what one is.
    Danny, am I missing something about the book "captivating"? I thought it was supposed to be good (I haven't read it).
    Are you having a new pastor candidate at your church? (Matt)

    Hannah

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger jason said…

    Lauren, when you say you have some winners coming out of grace, are you saying it like Selma Hayek?

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Charity said…

    Help! I can't stop laughing. I wonder if Matt & Isabel have ever been called "Weiners" before.

    A highlight for me was Ben Stiller's little performance in the green unitard, although I didn't get Jon Stewart's comment following until last night.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Hannah - "Captivating" is actually a great book. My wife has read it and so have a bunch of other godly women I respect. I would highly recommend it, and respect the positive words of those who have read it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home