Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Put a Lid on it

There are many ways to assess a man. Some say you put him into the heat of competition. Put a guy on a playing field and his real personality comes out. Others say you put the man in a position of authority. When you see the style by which he leads others, you find out about his character and nature.

I wonder if it isn't easier than that. The baseball cap may be the ultimate litmus test. Here's how it works.

Place your favorite caps in front of you (college and pro). There should probably be no less than three, but no more than seven involved. You wake up in the morning and all of them are available. Which one do you grab? (If you don't have the hats, just imagine which ones you would have. For instance, right now, I only have a Duke and OSU hat...because they were cheap at Steve and Barry's. The other hats, if I had the money to buy them, would be Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Pistons, Texas Rangers and Carson City Caribou). Remember, they are all sitting there equally available.

Would you:

a) grab the one closest to you
b) grab the one that matches what you are wearing
c) grab the one of the team that is playing the best right now
d) grab the one of the team which is in season
e) grab the one that fits best
f) grab them all and change them constantly like a victorious NASCAR driver

You may think of another option. Which would you choose? What do you think this says about you?

6 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger danny2 said…

    I would grab the Carson City Caribou hat. My wife had one made for me (I've since lost it somewhere) but it was awesome. It was truly MY team (that's my fantasy basketball team, if you are wondering) plus it was a gift from my lovely wife...so it wins out, most of the time.

    However, if it was out of the running, I think I would choose based on the following criteria:

    1. Am I going to be around a rival? (for instance, around Pastor Daniel, I'm wearing my Duke hat, around Gary I'm wearing my Steelers hat, around David I'm wearing my Pistons hat. And of course, when I would visit the Jake, I'd wear my Rangers hat and coat!)

    2. If I'm not around a rival, it would be fit. There's just nothing nicer than a hat that really fits right.

    3. If I'm breaking them all in (the are all new) it would be whichever season is in.
    --------

    I think this says about me:

    "I still get more pleasure out of aggrevating people than I probably should, that I highly value being comfortable, and that I want to be relevant."

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Charity said…

    I don't own any team hats, so I'll have to base my assessment on t-shirts. I wear my Reds T-shirt to work out in, and my OSU T-shirt just about everywhere, including to bed. What does that say about me??

    BTW, you forgot to mention your ridiculous-looking San Fran fishing hat . . .

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger David said…

    I would pick the one that matched my outfit. Sometimes this would mean making the outfit match the hat.

    And yes, I like figure skating.

    P.S. I really am heterosexual. Honest.

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Well, I have another option for you.

    I can't believe you left this option out.

    Option X: Would you pick the hat of the team you like the most?

    For whatever reason, we like some teams more than the others. Even from differing sports.

    Kudos for nabbing the Caribou hat.

    I would pick the Idiots hat.

    Same reason as yours.

    But if that one wasn't available...

    OSU Buckeyes, baby!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My hats include a gray tweed fedora,a baseball hat with NASCAR type flames on the side, a tricorn hat, a cowboy hat, a derby, an Aussie snap brim leftover from an African Missions trip and a trucker's hat with a Maxwell House logo stitched on it. (It was the only brand available that I actually use.)

    The hat I wear depends on the following:
    1) Is it cold outside?
    2) Is the top down on the convertible?
    3) What part am I playing?

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger jason said…

    First of all, wearing a Rangers hat to Jacob's field is a mistake on so many levels.

    I find hats to be altogether unstylish and therefore, only own one; a throwback Chicago Cubs hat from 1914.

    this is the essence of true humility; being a fan of a team that hasn't won a title in 90 years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home