Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Exposit It!

Al Mohler just finished a three part series on Expository preaching.

I won't always beat this drum (ah, who am I kidding, yes I will), but I love expository preaching. Nothing is more exciting to me than seeing God's Word explained with no frills or gimicks. This does not mean I don't illustrate, but rather that we let the text determine the meaning. It ceases to be my thoughts about life, and rather, it becomes more about the original intent of the message, and its application for today.

As I've mentioned before, I know that I'm not the best speaker around. I think I tend to get in ruts easily and I'm not exactly the most creative guy on the planet. My English is often dilenquent (evidenced in nearly every post). My style often too casual.

But one sentence in Mohler's article caught my eye: "Of this we can be certain--no congregation will revere the Bible more than the preacher does."

If I want the Body to approach the Word with respect, I must show it respect. If I want the Body to study the Word with diligence, I must dilegently study it. If I want the Body to be passionate about the Word, I must be passionate about it.

In this I feel pretty good. I don't know when it happened. I don't know how it happened. I don't even know that I desired that it would happen. But somewhere along the line, I totally feel in love with the Word of God. I find myself craving it. I want to read it. I want to read about reading it. I want to hear guys preach on it. I want to hear guys teach about preaching it.

I do not want this in any way to sound arrogant. Sadly, I lack the same passion when it comes to obeying the Word. I still struggle to be a "doer" and not just a "hearer." But it's not because I don't love it. It's just that I'm selfish and weak.

I'm not as smart as John Piper or Kent Hughes. I'm not as creative as Francis Chan. I'm not as clear and direct as James McDonald.

But I do love the Word (as do those guys). And if that means that others will develop a love for the Word too, then we'll be just fine.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For years I've survived by using a simple formula. "When in doubt, prayer or read Scripture." Thats where the power is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home