Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Short Break

While working on the next post in the series I was digging through a text. As I sunk my teeth into it, I realized it was not at all making the point I was trying to make. That caused me to pull back, reassess and jump right back in.

However, when I reexamined things, I realized the text was making a whole greater point than I was ever going to make. Therefore, it may take a day or two, but the rest of the series is going to go in a bit different route.

Until then, I leave you with a couple of great quotes from The Expository Genius of John Calvin (Ooohhh, it's good.)

From Calvin:
No man is fit to be a teacher in the church save only he who...submits himself...[to] be a fellow-disciple with other men.
Doctrine without zeal is like a sword in the hand of a madman, or...else it serves for vain and wicked boasting.
Of Calvin, Lawson says:
In short, he knew the Bible, having absorbed it in his quick memory and embraced it in his devoted heart.
Again, Calvin said:
I am not speaking here merely that others may hear me; but I too, for my part, must be a pupil of God, and the word which goes forth from my lips must profit myself; otherwise woe is me! The most accomplished in the Scripture are fools, unless they acknowledge that they have need of God for their schoolmaster all the days of their life.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger David Mohler said…

    Now hold on. You stop midway in your series "to reassess" at the same time Calvin is saying be a pupil of God?

    Good thing.

    Otherwise, "Woe is you!" ;)

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    To be sure, "Doctrine without devotion is empty. Devotion without doctrine is blind,"
    - D. Bloesch, The Church, p.18.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home