Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, November 06, 2006

D Martyn Lloyd-Jones and Me

On my way to speak at Grace College (an abysmal failure, as far as I can tell), I listened to the 9 Marks Ministries interview (Dever is the best at these) about D Martyn Lloyd-Jones. It is amazing to listen to stories about heroes of the faith. Though I have only recently looked into D Martyn Lloyd-Jones, the interview presented some similarities between me and "the doctor." According to the interview:
    1. Lloyd-Jones hated being apart from his wife.
    2. Lloyd-Jones' wife was clearly his best friend.
    3. Lloyd-Jones discussed all of his thoughts about theology and application in the church with his wife.
    4. Lloyd-Jones and his wife clearly had fun together.
    5. Apparently, Lloyd-Jones wife was a physcially attractive woman.
No forgotten birthdays, anniversaries or major mishaps (key word being "major," for I'm always doing something stupid) inspired this post. I'm not trying to make up for anything or butter her up for any future thing.

But as I listen to 9Marks interviews (and biographies from Piper), I am regularly reminded that I do not deserve to be in ministry. I am wholly incompetent and unworthy. But I do have one "thing" in my corner. Charity.

Like Lloyd-Jones', I don't enjoy being apart from my best friend. We have a great time together because she is incredibly bright, God-honoring and funny (you can see all for yourself at her blog). Of course, she is also an amazingly attractive woman (no picture to prove that, for that's really for me to enjoy).

This alone does not capture all that is wonderful about her, but these are probably the only things D Martyn Lloyd-Jones and me have in common.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Brad said…

    Cool.

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Charity said…

    This doesn't make up for not calling me the whole time you were gone!

    I hate being apart from you, too. Let's go on a date soon.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Danny says, "I don't enjoy being apart from my best friend. We have a great time together because she is incredibly bright, God-honoring and funny. Of course, she is also an amazingly attractive woman (no picture to prove that, for that's really for me to enjoy)."

    and i can vouch for him that this is all true. These two are a great team, and we at Grace church are deeply grateful to God that he sent them to us. that we have FOUR excellent pastoral teams is a gift beyond measure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home