Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Buffalo Wild Witnessing


Matt and I headed over to the BW-3 in Troy this afternoon for lunch. When the waitress took our order, I gave her a tract, told her to look at it during a break and that we would be around a while and would be willing to talk. She graciously took the tract, but we didn't really see much of her the rest of the meal. I did, however, see the waitress I had last time (whom I also gave a tract). She recognized me and was very friendly and open. She told me she read the tract and had been thinking some about it.

As we went to leave, I got a refill for my to-go cup. I turned from the machine and there sat this waitress. She was sitting with two coworkers and none of them were really working. (We'll call them "Michelle," "Kelly" and "Beyonce." No, that is not there real names. Yes, those are the names of Destiny's Child.) I approached the table and asked her if she'd be willing to talk. She was quite open, and so we began talking about eternity, with her friends listening. Michelle, my initial contact, was still technically working, so she had to jump up from time to time, but the second she sat back down, she wanted to pick up where we left off. Her friend, Kelly, was very intrigued by the discussion. At first, they all considered themselves to be good. We walked through a few laws and they quickly saw their sin. Kelly responded to her guilt by taking the Lord's name in vain, making it easy for her to confess blasphemy as well. They were very open. I took them to the cross and they were riveted, Kelly especially. I then explained that the Bible says a person must repent and trust in Christ alone for salvation. At the point that I began to define "repent," the manager walked up and ended the conversation. She told me I needed to leave her establishment and she didn't appreciate what I was doing. I didn't want to present a bad attitude, so I told her I would respect her choice, and encouraged the girls to think about our conversation.

So why tell you? There are a few reasons:
    Please Pray!
Seriously, these three girls were very attentive. Kelly especially was glued and said she was scared for her soul. (God knows their real names, so you can use their aliases. Besides, maybe it will have a positive effect on the girls in Destiny's Child too!)
    Go get these tracts!
Seriously, they make witnessing so easy, it doesn't even seem like effort. They are perfect for wait staff. You explain that TIP used to stand for "to insure promptness." People used to give tips before the meal to encourage quality service. (Make sure you let the waiter know they will get a real tip from you as well.) Encourage them not to read it while working, you don't want to get them in trouble, but on their break to check it out. If they have questions, you'll be around. It's so easy. I have yet to get a negative reaction from a waiter. (Also, make sure you tip well.)
    My theology matters.
Honestly, I blew it. Two of the girls were off of their shift. The manager told me, "You can do this kind of thing outside, but not in my restaurant." I should have taken her cue and invited the two girls out onto the sidewalk with me. I think they would have followed, and I could have finished. Instead, a little befuddled, I just wrapped up the conversation and left. I didn't want to ruin everything by being disrespectful or rude. However, creativity could have allowed for me to finish outside. (I didn't think of that option until I was on my way home.) Yet, trusting that God is sovereign in salvation, I believe He will give me (or another believer) the privilege of speaking to "Kelly", "Beyonce" or "Michelle" again. Quite honestly, they heard enough of the Word of God that they don't need another believer to share with them. They simply need to repent and trust Christ based on the Word of God they did hear. He controls that anyway. I can be pleased with this afternoon's encounter, even if "my performance" wasn't stellar.
    I'm a bag of hammers.
As I've said before, I'm not really an evangelist, and yes I am a Calvinist. But each of those truths should actually compel me to try harder to share my faith. For too long, I've used my lack of gifting as an excuse for laziness. Quite honestly, the doctrines of grace, easily perverted, can become a license to be lazy as well. I don't want that to be the case any longer. In the past, some of you have made encouraging statements about my efforts. While I appreciate that, understand that I fail far more than I succeed. (Recently, I was not nearly bold enough with a close relative. Instead, wrapping up the visit by giving them a copy of Hell's Best Kept Secret. I'd even asked people to pray for me in advance, and still chickened out.) But I've determined to quit allowing the Accuser's words to be more powerful than My Redeemer's. I will not allow my defeats to continue to stop me, but I pray His victory will compel me.

Please pray for these dear ladies. (And possibly use this as an excuse to go get some wings. Take opportunity to witness to the waitress. It may be the same one!)

2 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger jason said…

    First of all, I can't believe you know the names of the members of Destiny's Child. Are you a stalker?

    Second of all can I just say how relieved I am that this post didn't come with a "we all have to boycott" tagline. Thank you.

    Third, the pictures with the two tablets in the dude's eye scare me... I'm having nightmares.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger danny2 said…

    i admit...i got their names through wikipedia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home