Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Bride

It’s odd for me to take a break from a series on divorce to discuss my marriage but…

Nine years ago today my bride said, “I do.”

As we spend our anniversary together in a pretty unconventional way, there were just a couple of observations I’ve made:

    She’s the ultimate point guard.
I’m not a poet or great with words, so I must fall back on a sports analogy. My wife, for nine years now (and truthfully, even before we were married) has this amazing ability to make me better. Like a good point guard knows how to get the ball to his teammates where they want it, when the want it, Charity has the amazing ability to exceedingly support me right in the midst of my needs. And even more startling, she has begun to do this with three others all under our roof, without ever missing a beat with me. And me, well, I feel like I am just now figuring how to get the ball across half court without a turnover.
    I am thankful that love is blind.
A quick glance and anyone can tell that Charity is out of my league. Three kids and she still looks amazing! Me, well, I look “functional.” But looking beyond the surface, she is kinder, has a purer heart, is more selfless and much more generous than me. The looks are the first clue, but upon further review it becomes very obvious, this girl is way out of my league.
    She is faithful.
This may seem like a funny quality to mention. In the same way that I can’t figure out why God chose me, I cannot figure out why Charity chose me. However, there is security in this fact. For I know that Charity’s faithfulness to God means she will continue to be faithful to me. I don’t deserve her, but she signed the paper and made the vow nine years ago, and she will not break her word.

I love my wife dearly, but have fallen far short of showing her Christ’s love for the church in my love toward her. But I hope I’ve improved some over these first nine years and that the next nine will show exponential growth in this area.

But I rest in knowing that after nine years, I’m only the second greatest love in her life. For her true heart’s affection is for that perfect Bridegroom. And for Him, I’ll gladly take second place.

I love you Cutie!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your father and I have been blessed by TWO wonderful mates for our children. It is amazing how many others can't say that about their children's choice of a spouse. God answered the prayer we started praying for you and Robyn since your birth. I am sure you are praying the same prayer for your kids.

    Anonymooooooo

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Charity said…

    Now that i can finally get online, i can say thank you and i don't deserve half of the nice things you said, but i love you with all my heart and that will never change, no matter how many anniversaries come and go.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home