Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Monday, April 17, 2006

Wrestle with Election?

Mark Dever has a great quote from Spurgeon at this link. He also follows the quote with this statement of his own:
I understand that some worry that if we accept the Bible's teaching on election we will never evangelize. Should we not also be worried that if we reject the Bible's teaching on election we will never be humbled enough to make Christianity look like anything worth having? I love Spurgeon's humility. I love his boasting in God. I think it is attractive. I think it is motivating to evangelism. I think it displays God's love. A biblical doctrine of election highlights our poverty and Christ's riches, our weakness and Christ's strength, our need and God's supply.

It maybe that God will use our weakness and inability to highlight His own strength and grace. He's done it before.
.

May God receive glory for His choosing, for I can receive none in being chosen.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The doctrine of election is one of the most important doctrines of that the Bible teaches, yet it is one of the least ones studied by the Church. You acceptance of the Biblical view of election will determine everything in your worship of God. From personal obedience to evangelism. When a couple of years ago I listened to MacArthurs series on Chosen for Eternity my spirtual life was turned upside down. I had always tried to be obidient to Gods Word to prove to Him I loved Him - and failed miserablly. But now I am obidient to Him becuase He chose me and didn't need to on His part, my obidience has taken on an entirely different view.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Gary McDuda said…

    Great quote!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home