Welcome to Carnivorous Caribou

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

No One to Blame But Me

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be at our Fantasy Football draft for the church/youth group or not. On one hand, it is a great chance to talk some smack and have fun. On the other hand, if the baby would have caused me to miss the draft, I could have avoided the embarrassment of yet another putrid season. I never can draft a good team, and this year I realized why, unfortunately, I was already in the 14th round when it hit me.

I decided going into the draft that running back was the most valuable position. Most would agree with this, but I put a bit too much of a premium on the position. Here's my roster:

RB's: Shaun Alexander (6th overall pick), Willis McGahee (2nd rd, 11th overall), Rudi Johnson (6th; 43rd), Ahman Green (10th; 75th)
QB's: Tom Brady (3rd; 22nd), Matt Hasselbeck (4th; 27th), Joey Harrington (11th; 86)
WR's: Deion Branch (7th, 54th), Anquain Bolden (8th; 50th), Roy Williams (9th; 70th), Jimmy Smith (12th; 91st)
TE's: Antonio Gates (5th; 38th), Marcus Pollard (13th; 102nd)
Defense: Falcons (14th round pick)
Kicker: Matt Stover

So I think I'm so smart for loading up on running backs and then I realize...I must start three wide receivers a week and I've gone 6 rounds without any. I don't even know if I would consider the guys I've got as second tier guys...but are proably better desribed as third tier.

While I would love to have Tom Brady or Matt Hasselback on my team (IF we didn't already have Big Ben), they're not going to dazzle anyone in fantasy leagues. I think this position is going to hurt me too.

I was ecstatic when I drafted Antonio Gates. Then I found out he's suspended and his season could be bleak. Bummer.

All that added to the fact that I don't even like the running backs on my team, and that's what I was targeting!!!!

Oh well, I guess the best thing fantasy football can do is prepare me for the disappointment that will be my fantasy basketball season.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Gary Underwood said…

    Frankly, Danny, your team is too good to be true.

    Your running backs are the best in your league. I don't even have to see the other teams to know that Shaun, Willis, and Ahman are the best trio of backs in your league.

    Your QBs are far better than you think. Brady is a GREAT starting QB, honestly. Enjoy him.

    Your TE is the best in the NFL, and he's only missing one game. Get ecstatic again. Just sign a backup TE for game 1 and you're good to go.

    Your WRs aren't bad. They are very solid...

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to sound like an ESPN Fantasy FB columnist, but you should find an owner in your league who has good WR depth and work on a deal. You could trade Rudi and one of your WR for a top tier WR and a second or third tier RB.

    -sean riley

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger danny2 said…

    thanks for the kind words gary. i hope you know i wasn't fishing...i'm just not as optomistic about my team as you are.

    sean, i think you're right. i guess i'm holding out till somebody's rb goes down, then i'll try to snarf with a deal. until then, hopefully i can squeek a game or two.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home